Chiclets. Seriously ingenious of the Mexican food restaurant to offer Chiclets at the hostess stand and with your bill after you've paid, instead of mints. Makes perfect sense. Or at least to me it does. And I was amazed by them. Not that they have the best flavor or hold their flavor for more than a minute or two (if you’re lucky & maybe double down on pieces), but because to me, Chiclets are something I relate to every trip I’ve ever taken to Mexico. Starting with my first trip to Mexico and every trip thereafter, there were always little kids running around the streets trying to sell you Chiclets in every flavor variety possible for a couple pesos.
Now the restaurant is called, Lola. I know I’ve posted about a Lola’s in AZ, but this is a totally different restaurant. Obviously for one reason, the name is slightly different. Secondly though, this restaurant is in Denver. Lola is off of Boulder Street in Denver and has good food and drinks. It was recommended to us by a couple people so it was time to give it a try, especially since we’ve been missing Mexican food. Not like we even ate out that often or when we did would go out for Mexican but regardless, we were craving it. Lola restaurant is in such a great location. If you get there early enough to beat the happy hour crowd or don’t mind waiting for a table, you have to sit on their patio because it’s where you get to experience the views. You have a supreme view of the Denver skyline from their patio and you get to people watch all the people who walk by, are out for a jog, or are entering the restaurant.
We started off sitting at their bar to wait for a more desirable table on their patio. They have tasty margaritas…well mine was, Jeff’s marg, not so tasty. Jeff got the House Margarita with this organic tequila the bartender hyped and sold us on. It’s like it was tequila, ice & a couple limes lightly squeezed into the drink. The flavor was too clean, and for me to say that you know it wasn’t good. I went for the QCoin Margarita on the menu. The description is as follows: “muddled cucumber & agave nectar. fresh lime. el Tesoro platinum. finished with a squeeze of orange and a cucumber twist.” Needless to say, it was awesome and I totally recommend it.
We enjoyed our margs, rather I enjoyed mine, Jeff drank his with disappointment while enjoying chips & salsa, and peopling watching while waiting at the bar.
Once our table was ready it was time to really give this place a try. They had a Tuesday night 4 course tasting menu. Perfect!! 1st course, a Ceasar Salad, with some spice to it and light dressing (which is total a must for any salad in my opinion). 1st Course though, great. Now the 2nd course didn’t disappoint either; lamb meatball. Spice, amazing flavor and sauce and the lamb was phenomenal. The main course, was the 3rd course and there were two options to choose from; one steak, one fish. Since we both decided to do this Tuesday Taste, we each ordered different entrees. Jeff went with the steak and I with the fish (Grilled artic Char). Both were phenomenal!! The 4th & final course to our meal was dessert. It was an amazing Crème Carmel flan that was paired with Vanilla Bean ice cream and had Carmel drizzled over top. All 4 courses of the nights menu were amazing and I would totally get again if ever there again on a Tuesday night. Now, that wasn’t it though. Something they offered with the meal for an additional charge was either a tequila pairing or wine pairing. I decided to go with the wine pairing. Jeff had beer. I was amazed by the three wines they paired with the food; all delicious; all different and not just tastes as I thought I would be getting, rather each was a full glass of wine. It was a lot of food, a lot of alcohol and was a very fun night.
Something I’m happy about is that ever since arriving in Colorado; we have been exploring. We have tried lots of different restaurants, shopping centers, malls, and etcetera. We’re not just sticking to one area and not doing the same thing every day or night. It’s been fun and we’re exploring our new city to see what all is out there. If you live in Denver or ever visit; my vote would be to check out Lola Coastal Mexican Food Restaurant. Make sure to grab your Chiclets too!
xo
Now the restaurant is called, Lola. I know I’ve posted about a Lola’s in AZ, but this is a totally different restaurant. Obviously for one reason, the name is slightly different. Secondly though, this restaurant is in Denver. Lola is off of Boulder Street in Denver and has good food and drinks. It was recommended to us by a couple people so it was time to give it a try, especially since we’ve been missing Mexican food. Not like we even ate out that often or when we did would go out for Mexican but regardless, we were craving it. Lola restaurant is in such a great location. If you get there early enough to beat the happy hour crowd or don’t mind waiting for a table, you have to sit on their patio because it’s where you get to experience the views. You have a supreme view of the Denver skyline from their patio and you get to people watch all the people who walk by, are out for a jog, or are entering the restaurant.
We started off sitting at their bar to wait for a more desirable table on their patio. They have tasty margaritas…well mine was, Jeff’s marg, not so tasty. Jeff got the House Margarita with this organic tequila the bartender hyped and sold us on. It’s like it was tequila, ice & a couple limes lightly squeezed into the drink. The flavor was too clean, and for me to say that you know it wasn’t good. I went for the QCoin Margarita on the menu. The description is as follows: “muddled cucumber & agave nectar. fresh lime. el Tesoro platinum. finished with a squeeze of orange and a cucumber twist.” Needless to say, it was awesome and I totally recommend it.
We enjoyed our margs, rather I enjoyed mine, Jeff drank his with disappointment while enjoying chips & salsa, and peopling watching while waiting at the bar.
Once our table was ready it was time to really give this place a try. They had a Tuesday night 4 course tasting menu. Perfect!! 1st course, a Ceasar Salad, with some spice to it and light dressing (which is total a must for any salad in my opinion). 1st Course though, great. Now the 2nd course didn’t disappoint either; lamb meatball. Spice, amazing flavor and sauce and the lamb was phenomenal. The main course, was the 3rd course and there were two options to choose from; one steak, one fish. Since we both decided to do this Tuesday Taste, we each ordered different entrees. Jeff went with the steak and I with the fish (Grilled artic Char). Both were phenomenal!! The 4th & final course to our meal was dessert. It was an amazing Crème Carmel flan that was paired with Vanilla Bean ice cream and had Carmel drizzled over top. All 4 courses of the nights menu were amazing and I would totally get again if ever there again on a Tuesday night. Now, that wasn’t it though. Something they offered with the meal for an additional charge was either a tequila pairing or wine pairing. I decided to go with the wine pairing. Jeff had beer. I was amazed by the three wines they paired with the food; all delicious; all different and not just tastes as I thought I would be getting, rather each was a full glass of wine. It was a lot of food, a lot of alcohol and was a very fun night.
Something I’m happy about is that ever since arriving in Colorado; we have been exploring. We have tried lots of different restaurants, shopping centers, malls, and etcetera. We’re not just sticking to one area and not doing the same thing every day or night. It’s been fun and we’re exploring our new city to see what all is out there. If you live in Denver or ever visit; my vote would be to check out Lola Coastal Mexican Food Restaurant. Make sure to grab your Chiclets too!
xo
P.S. - Since it was my birthday; the blackberry stayed at home when we went out for dinner which meant no photos other than the chiclets photo I took when we got home. Next time I'll take my camera if not taking my phone because would have loved to share more but I guess you'll just have to go try it out for yourself to see what all the fuss is about.
No comments:
Post a Comment