Friday, November 5, 2010

Fight Back Fast

This title is a catchy phrase used to describe an over the counter products effectiveness you can find at your pharmacy, local grocery store, really, just about anywhere. Do you know what product this is for? It's for a product called, Tums. You are familiar with, Tums, right? Have you ever used Tums?

Prior to being pregnant, I would randomly and infrequently need tums. I now carry them with me every day and generally eat two Tums, every night. Reason, you ask, I have heart burn lately. It can get so uncomfortable some nights and Tums truly do what they say they will, fight back fast and for that I am very thankful. They relieve the symptoms of my heartburn so quickly it is amazing. I think of Tums as more than a heartburn reliever though, they also give me extra calcium. Something I need. Something every woman and definitely pregnant ladies need. Basically I think of Tums as a twofer (two-for-one)!

There is an old wives' tale that states heartburn during pregnancy means the baby will be born with a full head of hair. We'll see if this old wives' tale is true. We only have 10 weeks & 2 days until he arrives so results will be in soon. Of course one of the two medical reasons given to explain heartburn is extra hormones. The other medical reason (one that makes the most sense to me), is that as pregnancy progresses and the baby continues to get bigger, the baby pushes on your stomach, therefore stomach acid moves up where it doesn't belong and hello pregnancy induced heartburn.

I am going for medical reason #2 and interested in seeing if the old wives' tale has any validity at all.

1 comment: