Friday, December 17, 2010

Favorite Holiday Cranberry Dish

I love cranberries.  I drink 100% natural cranberry juice mixed with water every week year round.  Needless to say, I'm a big cranberry fan.  They are very good for you and delish.

The source of this recipe is one of my all time favorites; Cooking Light Magazine!  My mom first made this back Thanksgiving 2003.  Ever since it has been one of my favorites and I like to make it every year.  I have to make it every year, either for family holiday events, friend holiday events or just so we can have to eat at home.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup thinly sliced dried apricots (about 3 oz)
1/4 cup sherry or orange juice (I use OJ and do the 50% less sugar variety)
3/4 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 (12-ounce) package fresh or frozen cranberries (I always go with fresh)

Directions:
Combine apricots and sherry/OJ in a small bowl; cover and let stand for 8 hours (keep in fridge for that time)
Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil.  Add apricot mixture, honey, and cranberries.  Cook over medium heat 8 minutes or until slightly thick (if you used fresh cranberries that you placed in the freezer, this step will take longer due to cranberries being frozen).  When done at this point, not only with the contents be slightly thicker consistency but also the cranberries pop and open up.  Spoon mixture into a bowl; cover and chill.

Suggestion:
1) Add 3 heaping teaspoons full of "Low Sugar Sweet Orange Marmalade" to the mixture when you combine all ingredients in saucepan.
2) Add some fresh grated orange rind to the top of the dish and mix in prior to serving

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment