Friday, December 17, 2010

No oven necessary

For Thanksgiving this year, I took a chance on a new recipe.  The dish was, "Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping" and I made it in my slow cooker! 

It seems inevitable that every big holiday, there are a surplus of dishes that require the oven to be made.  Others need an oven just to be warmed prior to sitting down.  Now unless you have five ovens and a couple warming drawers, there always seems to be some sort of major oven schedule planning required for big holidays/family events.  At least that is my past experience.  Of course, once the oven schedule is planned out, you need to either have multiple timers or be good at keeping track of time for each dish, to ensure stay on schedule.  I don't know about you, but I find that can be difficult amongst all the holiday fun.

Even though I got nervous trying out a new recipe for a major holiday, I thought I would take a chance on this new dish since it didn't require an oven!  And I'm proud to say, it was not only easy but extremely delicious too!

Here is the recipe...

Ingredients:
2, 29oz cans sweet potatoes in syrup, drained & mashed (about 4 cups)
1/3 cup butter, melted
3 TBSP, light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp., ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp., ground nutmeg
1/3 cup, heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup, chopped pecans
3/4 cup, firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup, all purpose flour
2 TBSP, butter, melted

Directions:
Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.  Add whipped cream, stir well.
Pour into a lightly greased 3-quart slow cooker.
Combine pecans & remaining 3 ingredients in a small bowl (I also added 2tsp or so of cinnamon to this mix).  Take the mix and sprinkle over sweet potatoes.
Cover with lid and cook on High for 3-4 hours.

Another variation to suggest....marshmallows.  I added some mini marshmallows on top of the dish for the last 30-45 minutes of cooking time.  Just prior to serving, stirred to combine everything in the crock pot and placed in a serving dish.

Done & Done.  A yummy, easy, no oven necessary dish.  :)

Hope you enjoy!

P.S. - The recipe calls for a 3-quart slow cooker.  We have a 6.5 quart slow cooker so I made 1 1/2 batches of the above.  Gave us plenty for everyone to enjoy night of Thanksgiving and leftovers to enjoy for a couple days too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment